You have been looking for the right house, in the right neighborhood and in the right price range. It was a difficult search, but you found the home, made an offer and it was accepted. Now that you have closed on the home, you are a new homeowner. Congratulations, on your purchase – now the fun begins!
One of the biggest jobs that homeowners face is that of keeping up with the home. Items that need to be addressed on a regular basis would be mowing lawns, maintaining trees and shrubbery, gardening and many other routine duties around the home. In addition, during winter months in cold weather climates, homeowners must shovel, plow and maintain the outside of the home for safety of people walking, and access to the home.
These duties, and other typical homeowner activities, can seem daunting for the average person. However, most people can do regular maintenance and simple home improvement projects around the house with just a little guidance. As long as you know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver, you can do many routine projects involving painting, flooring, decorating and more!
We have assembled a number of useful resources for homeowners that can assist them in tackling many of the DIY projects around the house. While the majority of this information can be accomplished on your own, if you feel uncomfortable with the project, contact a home improvement professional. Please feel free to review this information and good luck in becoming a do it yourselfer around the home!
- Interior Painting Ideas – Article from HGTV which provides useful ideas about indoor painting around the home.
- Interior Design Ideas – Useful page which provides a number of ideas on interior design on a budget.
- Exterior Painting – Listing of items that are needed to paint the outdoors of a home.
- Painting Project Checklist - Handy checklist of items that are needed for painting your home.
- Painting Cost Guides - Find average costs for different painting and staining jobs.
- Home Decorating Ideas – Information and design articles from the New York Institute of Art and Design.
- Decorating Basics – Collection of resources for homeowners to learn more about home decorating.
- Cheap Home Decorating Ideas – Article with ten inexpensive home decorating ideas presented by TLC.
- Design Basics – This page from MSN Living presents home decorating and decor ideas for a smaller home.
- How Much Does an Interior Designer Cost? – See the average cost to hire an interior designer in your area.
- Wood Flooring – Information from the National Wood Flooring Association about having hardwood floors at home.
- Guide to Upgrading Flooring - Information about upgrading the floors in the home.
- Flooring Estimator - See local estimates and averages for different types of flooring projects.
- Electrical Safety in the Home – Informative safety information about the proper electrical usage in the home.
- Understanding Your Home Electrical System – In this article from the Electrical Safety Foundation International you will be getting an overview of your home electrical systems.
- Generate Your Own Electricity – Information for homeowners to learn how to make your own electricity.
- Basic Electricity Tutorial – Helpful web page which provides a basic introduction to electricity.
- How Much Does an Electrician Cost? - Compare the cost of DIY vs. the average cost of outsourcing.
- Home Plumbing Basics - A helpful page which looks at the basics of plumbing around the home.
- DIY Plumbing Tools – Useful site with home improvement tips and advice along with tools for DIY plumbing.
- Plumbing Basics Tutorial – In this page you will find information and diagrams to help you understand how plumbing systems function.
- Hometime Plumbing Basics – Informative web page from the Hometime television show which provides information to learn more about home plumbing.
- Plumbing Costs - Before diving in to a potential DIY job, it helps to research the average costs to hire a plumber vs. taking it on yourself.
- Kitchen Floor Plan Basics - Article from Better Homes and Gardens which provides information on how to create a functional kitchen floor plan.
- Kitchen Remodeling Basics – Helpful web page with information for homeowners looking to remodel their kitchen.
- Kitchen Basics – In this article you will receive tips on four different kitchen styles.
- Kitchen Projects Online – This web page provides information on various projects that owners can accomplish themselves.
- Average Cost of a Kitchen Remodel - Get an idea of the average cost of different kitchen remodel projects so you can budget accordingly.
- Landscape and Garden Design – Resourceful page with information and recommendations on a number of landscape and gardening topics.
- Outdoor Improvements - A number of typical outdoor home improvement suggestions are contained in this article.
- Outdoor Improvement Tips - In this article you will find a number of areas where homeowners can improve the outside of the home.
- HUD Home Improvements – Informative page from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development with information on a number of topics.
- Home Improvement Tips – Useful page with suggestions that can be done to improve the outside and inside of the home.
- Landscaping Costs - Helpful cost guides to help you price out and consider all aspects of a landscaping job.