When spring rolls around, it's almost a given that lawns and gardens will respond with bright colors and friendly flowers. In many instances, the gardens and lawns that result from spring sunshine and temperatures are some of the best you'll experience throughout the year. That being said, there are specific spring lawn care tips that can help you get the most out of your spring foliage. Being knowledgeable about water conservation, watering techniques and the kind of maintenance that is required around the year can you help ensure that your lawn and garden is as impressive as the work that you've put into it. Read on for more information about spring lawn care tips!
The Spring Season
Get up to 4 Free Quotes!
Planting drought-resistant plants or using drought-resistant grasses can significantly reduce your watering needs during the sunnier months of the year. They may also require less maintenance in subsequent months. Check for diseases, pests and bald spots in your lawn, and address them as soon as possible. For example, if you find that your lawn is bare in some parts, this may be due to uneven soil levels, and you should consider evening out the soil to encourage unimpeded grass growth. Plant flowers and shrubs in strategic positions to reduce run-off so that you won't waste water during spring lawn care. Use natural substances when you can to control both diseases and pests, as organic lawn care practices may increase your lawn's longevity, and may even influence your watering needs.
Consider adding at least two inches of mulch around your garden's plants to retain the moisture that they receive by way of rain or your smart watering techniques. This can be a great way to begin organic lawn care practices, as it will also help deter weed growth amongst your plants. It may be important to realize that lawns only need about one inch of watering a week to retain its brightness, fullness and color. Many cities have ordinances in place that predetermine how much water you can use on your lawn and when. It's important to abide by these rules while considering your lawn maintenance techniques, as there could be consequences and fines associated with breaking them.
Lawns that have dried out during the spring can benefit from lawn maintenance that incorporates lightly raking over parched spots. While you may find that grass can grow faster and greener in the spring than in other months, and you can be tempted to reach for your lawn mower, letting grass grow to at least three inches can help retain moisture in the ground, which will reduce your watering needs. Be conscious of where you aim your sprinklers. One of the best spring lawn care tips is to avoid having your sprinkler turn towards the gutter or other runoff avenues. Similarly, don't water during particularly breezy days, as this can knock your sprinkler off course. Ironically, watering your lawn only once a week, but enough so that the water soaks down to the roots, can save you more water than quick and light watering many times during the week.
Lawn Maintenance Year Round
It can be important to remember that while you may see an increase in your lawn's colors and vibrancy during the spring, maintaining your lawn through every month of the year can influence the intensity of your spring lawn care work. Be prepared for intensive lawn maintenance during the fall. It's during this season when soil should be prepped for the new growth of the spring season. Checking for leaks in your watering equipment can save you gallons of water a year, and help you conserve more water during the hot months.
- Organic Lawn Care on The Upper Texas Coast (PDF)
- Environmental Guidelines for Responsible Lawn Care and Landscaping (PDF)
- Spring Lawn Care
- Hassle-free Lawns and Yards: Save Time and Money With These 10 Tips
- Renovating the Home Lawn
- Natural Lawn Care for Western Washington (PDF)
- Steps for Healthy Lawn and a Healthy Bay
- Watering Lawns and Other Turf
- Spring and Summer Lawn Care
- Planting and Maintaining Your Lawn
- Proper Tips for Watering and Maintaining Healthy Grass
- Proper Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Lawn
- Lawn Care & Irrigation
- Lawn Care for the Spring Season
- Watering Lawns (PDF)
- Efficient Lawn Watering
- Improving a Lawn
- General Lawn Maintenance and Renovation
- Conserving Water
- Lawn Care for Established Lawns
- AZ Master Gardener Manual
- Natural Lawn Care (PDF)
- Water-saving Tips for Your Lawn and Garden
- Water Sense: Timing is Everything
- Monthly Watering Guide for Utah
- Water Conservation: Be Smart, But Not Water Short
- Watering Your Lawn
- Austin Water: Water Conservation
- Tips for Saving Water Indoors and Outdoors
- 55 Facts, Figures and Follies of Water Conservation (PDF)
More Lanscaping Tips and Articles
- Winter Tree Care
- Standing Water and Your Yard
- Landscaping for Privacy
- Traffic Noise Reduction with Landscaping