While your garbage disposal is often your best friend, it can also turn into your worst enemy that seems to show up every time you host a dinner party. The only thing worse than throwing away good food is trying to get rid of it with a clogged disposal.
Fortunately, thanks to our good friends at MyFixItUpLife, there are a few easy ways to prevent and fix a clogged garbage disposal.
Tip on Prevention
- Do not place stringy foods down disposal.
- Do not place a lot of food down disposal at one time.
- Do not place bacon grease down the disposal.
Tips on Fixing A Clogged Garbage Disposal
- Reset the disposal with switch below the sink.
- Use an Allen wrench to turn the drum below the sink.
- Make sure the circuit breaker did not turn disposal off.
Note: As always, be very careful when dealing with a clogged disposal. Do not go near the switch when your hands are in the disposal.
Fixing a garbage disposal is a very reasonable project for anyone with minimal DIY experience. Before calling in a pro, take a shot yourself and follow Mark and Theresa’s handy tips above.