Cedar Picket Fencing Costs
With such a large variety of cedar picket fencing types, sizes and colors to choose from, this durable and beautiful fence carries great potential for improving the curb appeal of any home or business. Cedar fencing is unique because it has so many excellent benefits that make it a very popular choice, especially in certain climates around the country.
Cedar Picket Fencing Estimates
- Average is $10 per linear foot and $14 per square foot
Varieties of Cedar Picket Fencing
Dog Ear Cedar Picket Fence
The cedar picket fence in the dog ear style is a classic privacy fence. The dog ear pickets, named for the angled top part of the picket or plank that resembles dog ears, are nailed to two parallel rails and attached to vertical fence posts. This cedar picket fence can be installed with or without spacing between the pickets, depending on how much privacy is desired.
There are many varieties of the dog ear cedar picket fence, such as:
- Western red cedar dog ear picket fence ($2.78 for 5/8 inch by 5.5 inches by 6 feet)
- Rustic cedar dog ear composite picket fence ($4.97 for 1/2 inch by 5 inches by 69 inches)
- Rustic barnwood dog ear composite picket fence ($4.97 for 1/2 inch by 5 inches by 69 inches)
Garfield Gothic White Cedar Picket Fence
This is another traditional variety of picket fence that is very upscale in design. It includes a picket that is 1 inch by 4 inches with a gothic picket top that alternates with a flat top 1 inch by 2 inches in size. This style of picket fence offers a private, yet open feel. This cedar picket fence can be purchased as a package deal for about $1,000.
Traditional Adams Style Cedar Picket Fence
This style fence is very decorative in or around small yards to create a small, enclosed area or with gardens. The robust design of this fence makes it a popular choice in yards where it nicely marks boundaries. It is available in panels that measure 3 feet high by 8 feet wide. This style fence can be purchased in bulk for about $2,000.
Jefferson Style Cedar Picket Fence
This style cedar picket fence comes in panels measuring 4 feet in width by 8 feet in height and has the traditional Gothic top and dog-ear spacing for a simple, but elegant look. Pickets measure 1 inch by 4 inches. Package deals for this fence range in price from $950 to $1,050 and include posts and back rails.
Other Styles of Cedar Picket Fences
Many other styles of cedar picket fences include smaller pickets for outdoor balconies and enclosed patios, around pools, along stairways and for enclosures such as dog kennels and play areas. These lovely fences can also be installed in various designs, such as:
Stain, Paint or Keep it Natural
The wonderful thing about cedar picket fencing is that it can easily blend in with its surroundings. Property owners may choose to leave their cedar picket fence plain, giving it the natural, rustic look, or they can choose to stain or paint it. In any case, cedar is made to take stain and paint very well, so it is an option that is available with little maintenance.
The natural colors of cedar wood for picket fences are available in these choices:
- Reddish cinnamons
- Rich sienna browns
- Mellow ambers
Advantages of Cedar Picket Fencing
Cedar picket fencing has so many excellent qualities.
- One of the biggest reasons people opt for cedar picket fencing is that cedar contains natural oils, making it resistant to rot and insects.
- Because it is naturally waterproof, cedar fencing superbly withstands wet climates, such as those in the Pacific Northwest, as well as climates that receive a lot of snow and severe weather.
- The long-lasting quality of cedar picket fencing is very attractive to homeowners and businesses.
- The warm, distinctive look of cedar wood grain with a tight-knot structure and rich fiber tone give it a timeless beauty that is all its own.
- Cedar picket fencing complements contemporary structures as well as older, rustic homes and surroundings.
- Cedar picket fencing is very stable in that cedar is known to have a very minimal amount of swelling, twisting, shrinking or warping.
- It also resists splitting and cracking, even without maintenance. For its durability and high quality, it is very cost-efficient as well.
- Many stores offer 15- to 20-year limited warranties on their cedar picket fences.
- Installation of this type of fence is not complicated and can be done in a minimal amount of time.
- Cedar is a type of wood that is easy to work with because of its uniform texture and fine grain.
- This type of fencing is low-maintenance, free of splinters and sands well.
- It is also very easy to clean as it not only resists mold and mildew, but it is naturally resistant to fungus and bacteria, keeping harmful germs away.
- Cedar picket fencing has excellent sound-blocking capabilities and insulation properties.
- It has the ability to maintain temperatures, keeping an area cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Disadvantages of Cedar Picket Fencing
Because of its superior qualities, cedar picket fencing has very few disadvantages. Perhaps the initial cost of purchasing high-quality cedar picket fencing as well as installation costs may be a major disadvantage for many people. Installation may range in price from $500 to $1,000 depending on how much fencing is installed. Some cheaper cedar picket fencing may shrink, bow and warp after it gets wet.
There are styles of cedar picket fencing, such as the dog ear style, that has a bad side. The bad side is rough wood. Low-quality cedar picket fencing is not durable and carries unattractive imperfections.
Last updated on May 18, 2016
Top Articles on Cedar Picket Fencing
What Flowers Bloom In Spring?
After a cold winter, the thought of spring approaching is a welcome sight. See what spring flowers you can expect to see blooming outside.Read More →
2017 Landscaping & Home Garden Trends
Just as the seasons change, home garden and landscaping trends change as well. See a few new garden trends sprouting up in 2017.Read More →
How To Plant & Maintain A Container Garden
Container gardening is a popular way to grow various plants in any sized backyard or home. Here’s a few tips on creating & maintaining your container garden.Read More →