Ductless Heat Pump Installation Cost
For homeowners looking to install a new heating and cooling system, or for those looking to replace their existing system with a better, more energy-efficient option, installing a ductless heat-pump system can be an excellent choice. These systems work by directing warm and cool air in and out of a home as needed to maintain a comfortable temperature. They do not require ducts or furnaces and they come with several advantages that homeowners will want to look into.
- Minimum Cost: $1,500
- Maximum Cost: $2,500
The cost to install a ductless heat pump system can vary from just over $2,000 to just under $5,000 for a single family home. This price generally includes $1,500 to $2,500 worth of materials, $600 to $1,000 worth of labor and about $100 worth of tools needed to complete the process.
The price estimates quoted above include the typical costs of removing and disposing of an existing system and the materials and labor needed to install the new system. They do not reflect the cost of the most advanced systems or installation configurations. They also do not include the cost of relocating existing fuel and electrical supply lines or exhaust vents.
The price of a ductless heat pump system can also vary considerably based on other factors as well. The location and the time of year the project is completed can have a significant effect on the price. The skill, experience, certifications and licensure of the technician or company can have a large effect as well. Homeowners should always call around to several local companies to get quotes.
While these costs may seem high, they can often be offset by various energy rebates and incentives that are offered. For example, the federal government offers some energy credits, and specific states, including Montana and Oregon, offer their own individual credits as well. These rebates and incentives can lower the price of the system considerably.
Ductless Heat Pump System Materials
Ductless heat pumps consist of just a few important materials. They consist of indoor and outdoor units, which are made of metal or plastic, which pump the air where needed. They also require refrigerant lines and electrical lines to power the system.
Advantages of Ductless Heat Pumps
- Ductless heat pump systems offer several advantages over the traditional furnace and vent HVAC systems.
- Significant Energy Savings: Ductless heat pump systems offer energy savings of up to 50%.
- Individual Room Controls: Ductless heat pump systems allow homeowners to set each room temperature individually.
- Remote Control: The temperature of each room can be set by remote control, without the need to visit a central thermostat.
- Easy Installation: Ductless heat pump systems can be installed in a day or less.
- Even Heating and Cooling: Ductless heat pump systems do not produce the same hot and cold spots that traditional vented systems do.
- Environmental Benefits: Because they use much less energy, ductless heat pump systems are better for the environment.
- Money Savings: Once installed, ductless heat pump systems use a fraction as much energy as traditional systems, which leads to significant savings on utility bills. Many homeowners are also able to find rebates, which bring the cost of the system even lower.
Disadvantages of Ductless Heat Pumps
While ductless heat pump systems do offer a number of impressive advantages, there are a few disadvantages to these systems , including:
- Cost: Coming in at a few thousand dollars, ductless heat pump systems can be expensive to install. While they do cost less to run, it may be quite a while until homeowners see a return on investment.
- Availability of Qualified Technicians: Because ductless heat-pump systems are not as widely used in the United States, homeowners may have a difficult time finding qualified technicians to install and repair their systems.
- Abilities: Ductless heat pump systems pump heat instead of creating it. Therefore, they may have a difficult time keeping up on the hottest and coldest days or in areas with extreme temperatures.
Last updated on May 17, 2016
Top Articles on Ductless Heat Pump
What You Must Know About Vent Covers
Your vent covers have an important function, but can sometimes be an eyesore. Learn more about air vent covers and how you can disguise them.Read More →
Smart Technology For Your HVAC
The latest advancements allow for HVAC systems to adapt to your lifestyle. See how smart HVAC technology is changing the way we live.Read More →
Identify & Eliminate Air Pollutants In Your Home
Your home air quality can impact the health of your family. See a few types of indoor air pollutants and how you can create better air quality in your home.Read More →