Shower Inserts Cost Guide
The costs of shower liners can vary dramatically. Shower liners are among the more popular elements of modern bathroom renovation, and this makes them very competitive items. There are a few factors that cause the price of a shower liner to fluctuate.
Highest average cost: $500
Lowest average cost: $50
Larger liners tend to cost more. The more raw material that is used to create a shower liner, the more it is likely to cost.
Liners with more complex shapes tend to be more expensive. The most basic liners are simply rectangular boxes open on one end.
Custom liners will always be more expensive than prefabricated liners. Custom liners are designed to work with a particular shower, no matter its shape or the location of its shower head and dials. Custom liners are preferable whenever possible. When ordering a custom liner, a certain number of labor hours is usually integrated into a static price to be paid up-front. While custom shower liners are more expensive, they are often necessary to fit certain shower designs.
Because shower liner installation is so competitive, the cost of installation varies greatly based on the geographic area and even within any given area. It is usually wisest to contact multiple contractors for quotes before making a decision on a work crew. It is often possible to get a contractor recommendation from the liner retailer, but this should not be treated as a substitute for getting multiple quotes.
Shower liners are almost invariably made of acrylic. This acrylic material is identical to what is used in most bathtubs and is the primary material utilized in prefabricated shower units. Occasionally, shower liners will have integrated drainage grates made of metal, but these are usually acquired as separate components.
Shower liners are usually affixed with adhesives and caulk. Rarely, they may be designed to use screws instead, but these need to be sealed over afterward, reducing their utility. The adhesives and caulking used may vary depending on the size of the shower being relined.
Because acrylic is smooth, anti-slip strips are often integrated into them. These will usually be made of rubber, polymer or cement.
Advantages and Disadvantages
The first advantage to the installation of a shower liner is the speed with which one can be installed.
- As long as the shower liner fits properly, the only tasks involved are placing it, adhering it and caulking its edges to keep it sealed from water.
- This is a much faster process than the replacement of tile, which requires the elimination of old tile, the placement of a proper surface, the mortaring of fresh tile and stops at every stage to allow tile to set.
- The only wait time involved is for the adhesive and caulk, which will usually not take more than a day to dry fully.
Shower liners don't require any demolishing of the bathroom.
- Because they are not full replacements of anything, it will never be necessary to remove a wall or dismantle the plumbing.
- It isn't even necessary to remove the original tile a shower may have.
- The liner can simply be placed on top of it and adhered as necessary.
- This allows the bathroom to be used while renovations are completed.
- It also minimizes the number of municipal codes that must be followed to perform the renovation legally.
Both of these factors add up to shower liners being the easiest form of renovation for a shower. It is generally not difficult to find a team that is qualified and prepared to properly install a shower liner.
Because of their popularity, it is very easy to find shower liners and crews to install them.
- The competitive nature of the market makes it relatively simple to find competing quotes and a suitable crew.
- This is in contrast to the process of finding a crew to completely tear down and replace a shower.
- As a much more complicated renovation, shower replacement is harder to get reliable quotes for.
Shower liners, unfortunately, come with a number of notable disadvantages. While they are very easy to install, there are some inherent difficulties associated with them that can greatly limit their utility in the long-term.
Shower liners come with a heavy likelihood of mold.
- Because they are nothing more than a second layer over existing tile, they provide an easy environment in which mold can grow.
- While liners are sealed and caulked as a matter of best practice, it isn't always possible to keep moisture out forever and caulk can degrade over time.
- A single flaw in the caulking or the liner itself is all that is necessary for moisture to invade the gap between the liner and shower surface.
- If mold is not entirely eradicated from the tile before the liner is installed, it is likely that it will begin to flourish if moisture spreads to it under the liner.
Because liners are installed on top of whatever existed in the shower previously, they shrink the shower's dimensions.
- Shower liners are often designed to give the edges of the shower some leeway for easier installation.
- A shower liner that fits too tightly may be impossible to place. This means that it will shrink the shower and alter its dimensions, which may be more or less noticeable depending on the size of the shower. This is more of a problem in larger showers where the difference in dimension is more likely to be pronounced due to a wider margin of error.
Shower liners frequently give the shower a less-stable feel when in use.
- Because shower liners tend not to fit perfectly or be adhered in all locations, they will usually flex under the weight of anyone using the shower.
- This can be unnerving for some, and in a worst-case scenario, it can make it more difficult to balance in the shower.
- Shower liners necessitate some kind of grip enhancement, whether this comes in the form of a shower mat or integrated strips of non-slip surfacing.
Last updated on May 13, 2016
Top Articles on Shower Inserts
7 Tips To Clean Bathroom Tiles
Keeping bathroom tile clean can be a challenge. Fortunately, we have the top tile cleaning tips to keep your bathroom floor tile and shower tile spotless.Read More →
The Perfect Bathroom For Your Children
Creating a new bathroom for your children can be a fun project for all. To get you started, here are a few ideas that can inspire the perfect bathroom for your kids.Read More →
10 Dreamy Bathroom Amenities
Get the look of luxury in your bathroom. Here are a few extravagant bathroom ideas to inspire your next bathroom remodel.Read More →