What Is The Average Cost Of A Steam Shower?
Get free estimates from local shower contractors.
In many ways, a steam shower looks like any other traditional shower, but a tight seal and a vapor generator create a steamy, luxurious environment for the homeowner. A steam shower combines the function of a shower, with the benefits and comfort of a sauna. You can start your day on the right foot, feel refreshed after a workout or relax before bed. Use this price guide to get a better idea of the average steam shower costs in your town.
Once you're ready to install, get in touch with shower contractors near you.
Table of Contents
- Steam Shower Cost
- Steam Shower Installation Costs
- Steam Shower Cost Factors
- Popular Brands & Pricing
- Cost To Update An Existing Shower Vs. Installing A New Steam Shower
- Cost Of Steam Shower Vs. Regular Shower
- Cost Of DIY Steam Shower Kit
- Advantages Of A Steam Shower
- Disadvantages Of A Steam Shower
- What Homeowners Should Know About Steam Shower Installation
- Find A Local Plumber
Steam Shower Cost
Steam showers can vary in costs depending on whether you want a custom steam shower installed or if you want a prefabricated steam shower. The full steam shower cost breakdown is below:
Custom Steam Shower
- Average minimum cost of custom steam shower: $2,500 (Excluding Labor)
- Average maximum cost of custom steam shower: $6,200 (Excluding Labor)
Prefabricated Steam Shower
- Average minimum cost of prefabricated steam shower: $1,099 (Excluding Labor)
- Average maximum cost of a prefabricated shower: $4,990 (Excluding Labor)
Steam Shower Installation Costs
Installing a steam shower will depend again, on whether you’re installing a custom steam shower or a prebuilt steam shower. To install a custom shower, you will need the help of a couple of contractors to install all the necessary components. First, you will need a manufacturer to sell you the steam generator and control components. Next, you will need a tiling contractor and a contractor to install the glass enclosure. A plumber and electrician are also needed once the shower is built. The cost below represents the basic labor required to install a steam shower and the average time it takes to install, which is 6.5 hours.
- The average minimum labor cost to install a steam shower is $486
- The average maximum labor cost to install a steam shower is $788
The basic labor to install a steam shower requires the assembly and mount of the steam shower unit. Then, they will need to connect the existing plumbing supply and drain lines from the shower. Basic labor will include planning, equipment needed, area preparation,
Steam Shower Cost Factors
There are a number of different factors that can increase or decrease the cost of installing a steam shower. Size, materials, the addition of a seat, a remote control,
The biggest determining factor when it comes to the price of a steam shower is its size. Steam showers are available in varying sizes, and the larger versions tend to be the most expensive. This is especially true for those who require high-end materials to build the shower. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are among the cheapest materials for the shower stall construction, but natural stones like marble will bring with them a larger expense.
Potential upgrades that can improve the value and look of a steam shower are wonderful, but homeowners should be realistic about how these upgrades raise the cost of the project. If money is less of a concern, some high-end additions to incorporate in a steam shower might include the following:
- Seating: Creates a steam-room atmosphere better for longer steam sessions
- Music: Sets the tone for steaming and is a luxury touch
- Mood Lighting: Personalized lighting for nighttime or morning energy
- Remote Control: Makes it easy to start and adjust the steam shower
- Automatic Flushing: Reduces any calcium
buildupfrom causing problems
Popular Brands & Pricing
To find the best steam shower for your home, you should first know exactly what you need. The biggest factor when buying a steam shower unit is the space it will take up.
$2,500 - $5,000
$1,800 - $2,500
$1,500 - $2,000
Cost Of Steam Shower Vs. Regular Shower
Many homeowners are curious about the real benefits of adding a steam shower and whether or not it will be worth it. Overall, the answer is yes. The cost to install a steam shower is comparable to a regular shower, with the average cost to install a shower being $2,997. Even if you don’t use your new steam shower as much as you planned, you will still get your money’s worth when it comes time to sell. According to numerous real estate agents, steam showers and home spas are sought after, and if a master bathroom does not have a steam shower, many homeowners add one once they are all moved in.
Cost To Update An Existing Shower Vs. Installing A New Steam Shower
A huge determining factor when it comes to the cost of a new steam shower is whether homeowners are upgrading an existing shower or installing a brand new one in your home. In some cases, updating an existing shower stall to a steam shower may be more expensive, because there are so many changes and additions that need to be made. The stall door alone can cost as little as $550 and as high as $2,000.
Some of the factors that need to be considered when upgrading to a steam shower in a bathroom remodel include:
- Ceiling: Must be sloped to prevent dripping condensation
- Wood Sealant: All visible wood needs to be protected
- Waterproof Membrane: Needs to be installed on all backer board in the bathroom
- Fixtures: Need to be sealed to prevent water or humidity damage
- Generator: Needs to be installed within 25’ of the shower stall
- Seals: Existing shower stalls need to upgrade their seals to keep steam inside
Cost Of DIY Steam Shower Kit
A DIY steam shower is another popular option if you want to add this luxury into your home but need to stick to a tighter budget. DIY kits are easy to install and cost anywhere from $800 to $1,200, depending on the size and materials used. A kit does require a plumber and electrician to connect the generator, piping and control system.
Advantages Of Steam Showers
After a long day, there are few things more enjoyable than unwinding in a cloud of warm steam. This steam has some wonderful benefits:
- Stress Relief: The warmth from the steam will increase your blood circulation helping your muscles to relax and ease tension
- Skin Quality: Through perspiration, your skin will get rid of dead skin and dirt build up
- Improvement of Respiratory Problems: Asthma, lung disease, allergies
- Increased Circulation: Great for users with arthritis and flexibility
- Home’s ROI: Adding spa element to home
Eco Friendly: 20 minutes in a steam shower only uses one or two gallons of water
- Decreased Water Bill: Homeowners aren’t using as much water taking steam showers compared to regular showers
A steam shower can transform an ordinary bathroom into an oasis, while also vastly increasing the value of your home!
Disadvantages Of Steam Showers
While steam showers certainly have their perks, they also bring with them a few disadvantages. The primary drawbacks of steam showers include:
- Expensive addition to home
- Additional space required
- Additional maintenance and cleaning
Finally, there are some restrictions on who can use steam showers safely. Some doctors recommend that pregnant women, those with heart disease and those with high blood pressure avoid steam showers.
What Homeowners Should Know About Steam Shower Installation
The average homeowner should now tackle the installation of a steam shower on your
Typically, the installation of an average steam shower can be done in a single day, but that exact project time will be extended for customized showers that need to have individual tiles installed at the same time.
Finally, be prepared for installation to extend outside of just the bathroom, as there will be plumbing and electric that runs to a generator stored nearby in a bedroom, linen closet or storage area.
Find A Local Plumber
There are plenty of benefits to adding a steam shower to your home. Whether it’s for personal health or bumping up your home’s ROI, a steam shower is a great investment for you and your family!
Let ImproveNet help you connect with a local plumber today to get your steam shower project started!
Get free estimates from local shower contractors
Last updated on Jun 27, 2017