Painting is the most popular DIY project, but estimating how much paint you need is not easy. Luckily, our paint calculator below takes the guessing out of the equation. Once you find your answer, be sure to connect with painters near you!
One gallon of paint covers approximately 400 square feet. To estimate how much paint your project requires, determine the measurements of the room you plan to paint and round it to the nearest foot. To ensure you will have enough paint, do not worry about excluding areas not to be painted, such as windows and doors. Additionally, a 10% waste allowance is automatically added to the total.
Types of Wall Paint
First you have to determine what kind of wall paint you plan to use for the project. Is this going to be an indoor or outdoor painting project? Depending on that will determine what kinds of paint you can use. Interior paint includes:
- Matte enamel
Outdoor house paints include:
- Primer (not a paint but considered the first layer needed)
- Speciality (anti-mold, anti-mildew, anti-condensation, etc.)
Measuring for Paint
Make sure you take measurements of every area you plan to paint before you go out and buy the kind you need or prefer. Some of the common measurements to take include:
- Wall height (floor to ceiling)
- Wall perimeter (every wall may vary)
- Ceiling width and length (if you plan to paint it)
- Sloping walls form a triangular wall space (see chart below)
Last updated on Jan 16, 2017