Get up to 4 Free Quotes!
Your roof is arguably the most important home investment you can make. A good, solid roof can save you hundreds, if not thousands, over the lifespan of your home. Nonetheless, all roofs, no matter where you live, need a little TLC once in awhile.
MyFixItUpLife went back and replaced the roof of a 120-year-old Georgian home in an historic town in Pennsylvania. While not all homeowners will choose the same material, their helpful DIY tips are appropriate for any roofing project.
Does Your Roof Need Repairs?
Lack of maintenance is the number one cause of roof issues. Nonetheless, the earlier you spot the area of the concern, the cheaper the repair will be. As you are inspecting your roof, there are a few key elements you must look for:
- Are there loose or missing shingles?
- Do you see any exposed nails? They are a source of leaks.
- Check where ridges and hips meet. Shingles may break or become loose in these spots.
For more tips, please see our roofing checklist.
Tips for Roof Replacement
- Don’t veer too far off your neighbors.
- Don’t be afraid to spend more now to save more down the line.
- Research average roof repair prices before your hire a pro.
- For roofs with a high pitch, make sure you wear a safety harness.
Repairing a roof can be a dangerous project. If you do not feel comfortable working with heights, make the safe call and connect with a roofing pro.
For more visual, DIY guidance, please see all of Mark and Theresa’s DIY videos.