Bathroom Renovation Ideas & Articles
As the saying goes, “kitchens and bathrooms sell homes.” But even if your home isn't on the market, a beautifully remodeled bathroom with modern fixtures and finishes provides a pleasant environment in which to get ready for work, prepare for a night on the town or simply get away from it all and relax.
If you're planning on getting quotes from pros for your bathroom renovation, ImproveNet can help you connect with up to four local, bathroom contractors for free!
10 Popular Bathroom Remodeling Ideas
To get your imagination going about possibilities for changing your bathroom around, here are a few jobs or projects you can do to create the bathroom of your dreams:
- Painting the walls and ceiling: Involves putting two coats of at least a semi-gloss paint that can withstand heavy moisture
- Replacing the sink or sink fixtures: Involves removing any caulking around the edges and shutting off the water, so you can look at the pipes underneath the sink
- Replacing the countertop: Involves carpentry skills to find how the current countertop is affixed to the walls or cabinets. Also involves shutting off the water
- Replacing tub or shower hardware: Can generally be done in an hour, but be sure to get hardware that fits your existing pipes
- Putting tile on the walls or floor: This job takes a long time but is not too difficult for amateurs. The bathroom will be unusable while tile is being put in.
- Installing a backsplash for the bathroom sink: A backsplash is decorative tiling that may go in more quickly because it is smaller.
- Installing a new toilet: This can be done by an amateur, but it requires two or more people to lift and place the toilet while affixing it to proper pipes. The water will need to be turned off.
- Replacing old metal pipe with PVC pipe: The water will need to be turned off. Make sure you get the right size pipes as well as the right adapters.
- Caulking or re-caulking edges around sink or tub: This can be done in an hour. Make sure you get bathroom-grade caulk.
- Regrouting existing tile: This may take longer than you think. It is often done in tandem with re-caulking edges around tile.
All of these jobs can be done as DIY projects, though they may take more or less time depending on your experience and the state of your home. More extensive bathroom remodeling projects such as replacing your tub, adding a new shower or adding a new sink may require the assistance of a professional plumber or contractor if you want them to be done right.
Almost all home improvement projects take about twice as long as you think they "ought" to take. The best advice is to begin your project early in the day, even if you think you won't need that much time. Don't be discouraged if your remodeling job takes longer than you think it should take.
Bathroom Remodeling Overview
Bathroom Remodeling Project CostBack To Top Of Page
Top Articles on Bathroom RemodelingBack To Top Of Page
There is no question that when it comes to home improvement projects, one of the first rooms people look to remodel is the bathroom. The advantages of bathroom updates have a wide range whether you are staying there for the long haul or looking to sell in the near future.Read More
You don’t need a full bathroom remodel to be thinking about a new bathroom sink. It’s an update that I’m sure any outdated bathroom can benefit from a beautiful new sink, especially if the one you have now is in a hue popular in the 1960s. (I’m looking at you mint green and pastel pink!)Read More