How Much Do Acrylic Countertops Cost?
Get free estimates from local Countertop contractors.
National Countertop Costs
Real Quoted Projects From Countertop Contractors
Additions & Remodels
Remodel Multiple Rooms, I'm ready to hire, Unknown
- 839 projects like this
- Most recent: 14 hours ago
Additions & Remodels
Kitchen Remodel, Within 1 month, Single family house or condo
- 850 projects like this
- Most recent: 15 hours ago
How Much Do Acrylic Countertops Cost?
Acrylic countertops rose in popularity in the 1950s and 1960s but lapsed in the 1990s and 2000s as luxury materials like marble rose to the top. Today, acrylic countertops are gaining a new foothold as the latest technology has allowed manufacturers to create a wide range of colors, patterns
See their costs below and if ready to install, connect with local remodeling contractors.
Table of Contents
- Acrylic Countertops Cost
- Acrylic Countertops Installation Cost
- Acrylic Countertops Cost Factors
- Acrylic Countertops Cost Comparison
- Different Types Of Acrylic Countertops
- Why You Should Choose Acrylic Countertops
- Find A Local Remodeling Contractor
Acrylic Countertops Cost
Acrylic countertops are one of the more affordable solid surface countertop materials on the market. Compared to other popular materials like quartz, granite
- Minimum: $11.97/sf of acrylic countertops
- Maximum: $22.74/sf of acrylic countertops
In addition to the cost of the material used to make the acrylic countertop, homeowners beginning this renovation project will have some additional expenses. Supplies such as backing board, adhesives
Acrylic Countertops Installation Cost
The average hourly cost for installing an acrylic countertop is $42.50. The average cost to install countertops is around $3,000, take this cost and compare to your estimated installation cost. This installation cost will depend on your project details and can be affected by a few factors. Consider these cost factors when planning your remodeling project.
- Measurements: Prepare for your project by measuring your countertop area and create a realistic budget based on these measurements. Your remodeling contractor will need to take measurements as well, which will determine the price.
- Seams: Ensuring a quality project and pleasing look, seams will help to create a flush and fluid countertop space with an epoxy filler that will match your countertop color.
- Edges: Most countertops come with a standard edge that will look great. If you want a custom edge, this can increase the cost up to $17 /
- Customization: Based on the area of your countertop space and shape of your room, your acrylic countertop will need to be cut and to your kitchen or bathrooms specific measurements.
- Worksite location: This is one of the biggest installation cost factors. Getting your acrylic countertops into your house and safely to your kitchen or bathroom is a project within itself. The easier it is for your contractor to bring in your home and install, the cheaper your project will be.
Acrylic Countertops Cost Factors
Depending on what you need out of your remodeling project, the costs can increase quickly if you require more work. Here are some common add-ons that you should consider before starting your remodeling project.
- Sink Installation: If you want to have a sink installed, this will add to the project and installation fees.
- Built-in Drain Board: These are becoming a popular feature homeowners are adding to their countertop designs. A built-in
drain boardcan be very helpful when cleaning dishes and letting them air dry on the side. The drain board will flow excess water into your sink.
- Backsplash Installation: If you need to install a backsplash, this cost will not be included
withthe countertop project cost. Installing a matching backsplash will also add to the cost of the project.
Acrylic Countertops Cost Comparison
Popular brands and manufacturers of acrylic countertops include DuPont Corian, Aristech Acrylics, Soapstone, Avonite, Formica Solid Surfacing, Cerata, Florenata, Wilsonart Gibraltar, Swanstone, Centura, Lippert Corp., Meganite, Staron, Askilan and HI-MACS by LG Hausys.
Each of these companies has a variety of styles and color ranges. Most companies work with specific contractors for installation services and will have a warranty
Acrylic Countertop Brand
Different Types Of Acrylic Countertops
There are many different sub-types of acrylic countertops that homeowners can select from when doing a kitchen or bathroom remodeling project. Acrylic countertops are created from a proprietary blend of resins, plastics, epoxies and embedded additions such as glass. The primary sub-types of acrylic countertops include:
- Solid Acrylic Resin: This is the most common type of acrylic countertop. The solid surface is created from acrylic resin with added pigment. It is widely used as a kitchen countertop as well as in the bathroom.
- Back-Lit Resin: This type of acrylic countertop has LED lights embedded into the resin. This allows the homeowner to have light when working on the countertop doing detailed work such as mincing vegetables.
- Embedded Acrylic Countertops: Recycled glass or reclaimed ceramic or porcelain tiles are crushed and added
intothe resin. Different manufacturers add different percentages of the embedded materials. A pigment may be added to the resin to add color to the surface.
- Mineralized Acrylics: Manufacturers add minerals such as crushed quartz to the resin. The finished product resembles natural stone but has the durability and non-porous nature of acrylic.
- Granite Blends: This is a mixture of 95% granite and 5% resin. The resin adds durability and makes the surface easier for homeowners to maintain. Installation of this type of countertop is easier than for solid granite slabs.
Along with the different types of acrylic countertops, there are three different finish styles that you can choose from before it’s installed
- Matte: This type of finish is ideal for backlit acrylic countertops and those with a high percentage of mineral content. Fingerprints and water stains easily show up on a matte surface.
- Semi-Gloss: This is the most popular finish for acrylic countertops. It highlights any embedded materials and reflects some light into the environment for enhanced visual appeal.
- Gloss: Glossy acrylic countertops highlight the pigmentation of the surface. This finish is also used for acrylics with embedded tile.
Why You Should Choose Acrylic Countertops
Acrylics are available in a wide range of colors and patterns to coordinate with the flooring and cabinetry of the kitchen or bathroom. They come with many benefits that are great for their price and
- Acrylic countertops are non-porous and are very hygienic when it comes to preventing the spread of germs in the kitchen or bathroom.
- They repel moisture and mold. Due to the nature of the acrylic material, water and other liquids will not be absorbed or stain the material.
- Acrylic countertops are very strong and durable. You can place heavy appliances like a microwave on the surface with no worries of denting or scratching. If your countertop sustains a heavy impact there may be
damage. In this case, a countertop repair is an affordable option and a quick fix. Seamless installationallows for easier cleaning of the surface of the counter.
- Acrylic countertops can be created in any shape without a premium for curved contours. This will be helpful when planning the total area of countertop space needed.
- Sinks can be integrated seamlessly into an acrylic countertop for a sleek and modern finished look.
- Acrylic countertops resist stains, and spills are easy to clean with just a cloth, soap and water.
Acrylic countertops aren’t known to be very environmentally friendly, so manufacturers have begun to invest more in green options for the material. There have been some innovations in the production of acrylic countertops that allow recycled plastics and resins to be used to create the solid surface. Although the range of products in this category is still limited, it is a growing field of research and likely to expand into more offerings in the future.
Find A Local Remodeling Contractor
Acrylic countertops are a cost-effective option for homeowners looking to install a versatile countertop material that won’t break their bank or remodeling budget. Review all of the information above to set yourself a realistic remodeling budget and know the ins and outs of your project.
Next, let ImproveNet help you find local remodeling contractors to help create your dream remodel!
Get free estimates from local countertop contractors
Last updated on Nov 8, 2018