Cost To Repair A Barn, Shed Or Playhouse
Most homeowners spend between $604 to $1,103 nationally.
Get free estimates from local contractors who can Repair Shed, Barn or Playhouse.
Barns, sheds and playhouses are sturdy outdoor structures where you can stash tools and equipment or encourage children to play. Sagging, leaking and foundation problems are just some conditions that plague even the best of barns. Property owners should know the typical costs of repairing outbuildings, including the added cost of hiring a professional for the job. If you need professional barn, shed or playhouse repair, then use ImproveNet to connect with local shed pros.
National Repair Shed, Barn or Playhouse Costs
Enter your zip code to see specific costs in your area.
We are still gathering data for this location. Try changing location above or choose another project.
|National Average Cost||$2,432|
|Average Range||$604 to $1,103|
How do we get this data? This info is based on 84 cost profiles, as reported by ImproveNet members.
Table of Contents
- Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repair Cost
- Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repair Cost Factors
- Causes Of Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repairs
- Repair Or Replacement
- DIY Or Hire A Pro?
- Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Building Cost
- How To Build A Barn, Shed Or Playhouse
- Find A Pro
Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repair Cost
Most homeowners across the U.S. spend between $432 and $1,055 to repair a shed, barn or playhouse. The average cost is around $702, with costs running around $150 on the low end and $1,950+ on the high end. Here are the average costs for repairing each type of structure:
- Typical Barn Repairs: $133 to $1,071
- Average Shed Repairs: $502
- Average Playhouse Repairs: $402
Homeowners who handle repairs on their own save money because they only need to budget for the cost of materials and tools. Hiring a pro typically adds an average of $70 per hour for carpenters and anywhere from $65 to $85 per hour for electricians and plumbers.
Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repair Cost Factors
The size and scope of the necessary repairs are among the most significant factors in the cost of this project. The larger the building and the more extensive the repairs, the more you can expect to spend on materials and labor. Additionally, as the size of the repairs and the structure grows, so does the cost difference between DIY and professional jobs.
For example, simple roof repairs may cost $300 in materials to DIY or $400 to $500 for a professional job. Jacking up the roof to straighten or replace the wall of a large barn may cost around $2,000 in materials and $10,000 or more in labor. Other cost factors include:
- Geographic Location: The cost of materials and labor varies from place to place
- Age of the Structure: Very old barns may need extra care during the repair process or hard to find materials that add to the cost
- Type of Materials: The type of siding, roofing and other materials affects the overall cost. For example, rolled roofing costs an average of $130 per 100 square feet while aluminum shingles cost between $600 and $1,500 per 100 square feet.
Causes Of Barn, Shed Or Playhouse Repairs
Many different problems can affect sheds, barns, and playhouses. Some problems, including rot, can be prevented by maintaining the finish, while others are nearly unavoidable as the structure ages. Common causes for repairs include:
- Broken doors after extended use
- Small area of rot due to exposure to humidity
- Leaning/sagging caused by worn out nails or damage to the structure
- Loosened or cracked foundation
- Leaks in the roof
- Broken windows
Repair Or Replacement
Repairing the structure may be the most cost-effective way to restore it for safe use. This is particularly true of larger barns that are costly to rebuild. In cases when repair costs are high or if there is extensive structural damage, removing the old outbuilding and rebuilding it could be the best option. A desire to upgrade to a larger building is another reason to build new instead of repairing the existing shed, barn or playhouse.
DIY Or Hire A Pro?
Small projects, including replacing hardware may be doable as a DIY project. Unless you have extensive experience, most major repairs are best left to the professionals. Roof repairs or replacements, structural repairs, foundation fixes and electrical work are typically beyond the scope of most weekend warriors. Professionals have the skills and experience necessary to accomplish repairs quickly, correctly and according to safety standards.
Shed, Barn Or Playhouse Building Cost
If the necessary repairs to the existing barn, shed or playhouse are very extensive, then it may make more sense to replace the structure with a new one. According to our barn, shed and playhouse cost estimator, the cost for this project averages $2,844, with most homeowners spending between $2,126 and $3,503.
- Average Cost to Build A Playhouse: $200 to $10,000 as a DIY project, with professional fees adding $50 to $3,000 extra
- Average Cost to Build A Shed: $300 to $4,800 as a DIY, with additional fees of $185 to $626 for professional help
- Average Cost to Build A Barn: $3,020 to $45,000+ depending on the size and design
How To Build A Barn, Shed Or Playhouse
Although some playhouses and sheds are sold as a kit or a preassembled unit, barns typically require from-scratch building plans and designs. No matter what type of structure you're building, the basic process typically involves the same essential steps.
- Get all necessary permits. Check with your homeowner's association, county or local government to determine what type of permits you need. Permit costs average $100 or so.
- Prepare the site. The area needs to be level and graded, with all grass and weeds removed.
- Pour the foundation or a concrete pad as the outbuilding's base. For small sheds and playhouses, this can be accomplished as a DIY project. For optimal results, let the pros handle it.
- Build the structure. This process varies widely depending on whether you're building a shed, playhouse or barn. It also varies depending on the type of barn you're building.
Find A Pro
Making the necessary repairs to sheds, barns or playhouses keeps these structures standing tall. Let ImproveNet connect you with local professionals who can help with everything from small repairs to large replacement projects. Submit a request on our free lead generator today.